Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Birthdays, Bookies, and BBQ


This Wednesday we celebrated Carlos' birthday on Red Remote.  Red Remote is a weekly live stream entertainment show.  I am an associate producer.  We broadcast live Wednesdays at 8 pm from UDetroit Cafe in downtown Detroit.  You can watch it stream live at UDetroit.com or on Ustream.com and search for Red Remote. 



I was still feeling a little under the weather but I wasn't going to miss Los the Host's birthday for anything.  I didn't have a chance to go shopping but there were some stray slices of pound cake from Simply Divine sitting around begging to be given away.  I put them in a Chipotle brown paper bag, grabbed my camera and headed downtown.

We had a  great line up of musicians, singers, and comedians scheduled.  The place was packed.  The bar was busy, the music was jammin', and the comedians had us cracking up.  Dionne has set the bar.  I can't wait to see what she pulls out for Ashley Elise's birthday! 



The Bookie (pronounced Boo Key, not Book ee) is always talking about birthday parties.  He just turned 3 in June and had a birthday party.  Then he was here for The Girl's surprise party in July and 2 weeks ago he went to our little cousin's 1st birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.  To make matters worse, we still have a lot of the remainders of The Girl's party still decorating the house, so when Bookie comes over he sees them.  

He loves birthday parties because he associates them with cupcakes.  When I made the coconut lime cupcakes he started singing happy birthday as soon as he saw them.  He's a smart guy, he knows you don't get to eat the cupcakes until after you sing happy birthday. 

We didn't have any cupcakes or sweets for him when he came over this week so he had to be distracted by going outside to play.  The kids were washing the van and of course he got wet.  It was really hot outside so that was okay.  Bookie took a couple of shots straight to the face.  He handled it like a pro.  He wiped his eyes and kept on playing. 



The last thing I want to mention is BBQ.  This summer I haven't had nearly as much BBQ as I would have liked.  I don't know why, but my intention is to fire up the grill and throw a couple of burgers, chicken breast, and maybe a steak on the fire. 

I've never ever did the grilling before.  I never had to do it.  This will be my first time.  I'm not worried about it though, I watch a lot of food network and I've been to hundreds of BBQ's over the years.  I'm a grown woman.  I can do this!

These aren't my grills and this isn't my house, but it what I'd like


Have a safe and enjoyable holiday.  Thank you for allowing me to share with you. 

Please leave a comment and share with your friends.

April
~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. Well....I didn't have to do any "Detroit" research since you laid everything out I needed to know in your well written post. Birthday parties are a lot of fun whatever age you are, and I'm sure that's true for most cities the size of Detroit with a population similar to Detroit's. Once again I enjoyed the post, but didn't like that it made me want cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Anthony. The cake was very good but the frosting was a little too sweet for me. We went outside to take a group photo when the party was over and I gave my slice to somebody to hold. I never saw my cake after that. I didn't need it anyway. A sugar high after 2 am is never a good thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who knows me in "real life" will tell you I don't particularly like crowds, be it a bar of biday party. But somehow I think these would have been great.

    I like the sound of the lineup you all had for Carlos' party. Perhaps a mild calming agent first, but definitely would have gone.

    Bookie sounds like a real character, with real character! Only 3 and still trooping on no matter the hose or lack of cupkakes. (Betting it's going to be a challenge to keep him interested when he starts school. A good thing he has such great family!)

    Be sure to keep us apprised of any BBQ surprises. And I agree, YOU absolutely can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have to BBQ! A friend brought me a plate. Yaaay! Bookie is absolutely fantastic. I am so blessed to spend so much time with him. He keeps us busy though, always into something! LOL

    ReplyDelete