Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

Summer Movies, School, and a Singer


This summer I saw four movies.  The movies I saw were The Avengers, Something from Nothing: the Art of Rap, Brave, and Sparkle.  I didn't want to see any of the other movies that came out this summer.  The only movie that any of my friends talked about was The Dark Knight.  People liked it,  but no one said anything about it that made me interested in seeing it. 

I'm usually trying to get to the movies on opening weekend and the first to give my opinion on a film.  This summer I was uninspired.  I was excited about Sparkle but when it came time to give my opinion, I couldn't give it an exciting recommendation.  I really enjoyed Something from Nothing.  Most people I know didn't see it, despite my enthusiastic support for it.  It was the best movie I saw this summer.

Tuesday was the first day of school for my little guy.   He's in the 5th grade now.  We had a problem the first day with his school bus but after explaining the situation to a few people I was able to get it resolved.  Tonight is curriculum night.  I'll go to the school, meet his teachers and get more information than I ever wanted about the 5th grade school year. 


 I don't think my little guy will have any real problems with school this year.  He's a great student.  He takes his school work seriously and enjoys getting good grades.  He's also going to be taking swim lessons starting this Saturday and he'll still be in martial arts.  I'm considering re-enrolling him in music lessons.  He started playing the guitar at age 5 and he was pretty good at it.  There's just so much to learn and his schedule is full.  We have to make some choices. 

Saturday, I was being supportive and went to Jazz & Jokes.  My cousin Erica is always inviting me to something and I try to make it to most of the time.  I messed up with the Sparkle fundraiser by fooling around getting my ticket, so it was sold out and I missed it.  This time I got my ticket early and online.  It was a good thing I did.  Jazz & Jokes sold out too. 

It was such a nice event.  I am so glad we went.  J.D. "The Smile Hustler" was the host.  He was funny and so were the featured comedians The Real Shortie and Shaun Showtime.    Alesha Nicole was the musical performer. 

This was my second time seeing her.  She was a guest on Red Remote (watch it live on Wednesdays at 8 pm on www.UDetroit.com).  She was very entertaining.  She reminds me of my Niecy Pooh Pooh because she sings, plays keyboard and plays the guitar.  A very talented young lady. 


Thank you for allowing me to share. 

Please leave a comment and share with your friends.

April
~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like your little Guy is going to be as busy as you. I didn't think that was possible! Glad to hear you're re-enrolling him in music. I took piano for a year, & choir for a semester. Not continuing those activities is in my "regret box".

    I'm certainly going to look for "Something from Nothing". The trailer looks amazing, & the recommendation from someone (yes, you April) who had the good sense not to be pulled in to the DKR hype says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the little guy to experience as much as he can so he can make informed choices. He learned how to play the recorder last year in school music class. He reads music pretty well now and I just want to keep the momentum going.

    I took piano lessons for a couple of years and then quit. I regret it too.

    ReplyDelete