Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Chopsticks, Cousins, and Live Performances

A friend invited me to celebrate her birthday at Benihana's this week.  I had never been there before but I love Asian Cuisine.  I was glad to join her.  The service was excellent!  I love going to places where the staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and yet professional at the same time.  The food was really good and I had more than enough to eat.  I will be going back despite my difficulties with the chopsticks. 

There were four people in our party so we shared a table with four people we didn't know.  I provided everybody with a lot of laughs because even though I love Asian Cuisine, I don't know how to use chopsticks.  I had a fork, but I was determined to use my chopsticks like everybody else.  I put forth a good effort but finally gave in and used my fork.  My food was looking and smelling entirely too good to be fooling around with the chopsticks for too long.

A Little Film
by 
Motowndiva

While enjoying my meal, I hear a voice that sounds somewhat familiar.  I turn around and it is my cousins Rodney and Dennis.  We hugged each other in the middle of the aisle like we hadn't seen each other in years instead of a couple of months.  They were stopping by to say farewell to Brandon, another cousin, who was seated at the table behind me!  I was too busy trying to master my chopsticks, so I didn't pay any attention to the people around us.

I am always running into my cousins.  We are a pretty close family and most of us like spending time with each other.  Rodney is such a sweetie pie.  When I introduced him to my friends, he invited them to his party next month.  I told my friends they should come because Rodney throws the best parties and it will definitely be a blast! 


My Niecy Pooh Pooh (she hates when I call her that and I try not to call her that in public but it's hard because I've been calling her Niecy Pooh Pooh for years) and her friends were featured performers at a local bar on Tuesday.  I've been listening to Niecy sing since before she could talk.  I've also seen her and her friends in a few stage productions.  I wasn't sure which of her friends she would be singing with that night because almost all of her friends are talented singers, musicians, and performers. 
Niecy and her friends (my honorary nieces) stepped on stage around 11:00 pm.  Six of my cousins were there with me to support her.  The girls sang for about 45 minutes.  This was my first time seeing these three girls sing as a trio.  They really showed out.  Everybody enjoyed the show.  I am so proud of her.  I'm also glad my family was in the place.  We had a great time.   


Thank you for allowing me to share a part of my world with you. 
Please leave a comment and share with your friends.

April
~~~~~


2 comments:

  1. Love the film. I was worried for a second it wouldn't contain the chop stick sequence.

    Sounds (and looks) like a great meal. The difficult part for me would be all the family! I like my family, but I don't know about seeing them everywhere.

    Back to the chop sticks:
    When my brother and I were 9 & 8, respectively, my dad had a townhouse. The normal fare was liver & Lima beans. He cooked, my brother & I set the table & did the dishes.

    One evening after a good days play we got home to wash up and set the table - but it was already set, with what I would learn was chicken teriaki. And everything was there but the flatware.

    My brother & I exchanged foreboding glances. In place of the knives & forks etc., were chop sticks. The only reason I knew what they were was because of a certain, very famous hamburger franchise that had introduced these twigs to its menu.

    My dad looked at us & said, "You don't leave the table till your plates are clean, & you must use the chop sticks." (Did I mention the rice wasn't sticky rice?) So we sat down & had a very good, & very long meal.

    And that is how I learned to eat with sticks. A.d to this day, Asian food doesn't taste right without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. I am a little disturbed about the "normal fare" being liver and Lima beans. That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment or child abuse! I think if I were 9 or 10 years old the chop sticks would have been easier to master. Now I'm older and don't pick up those skills as quickly. My son is 9, I think it's time for him to learn. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete